Sunday 15 February 2009

Quinoa and its properties


It’s amazing the amount of things you forget you keep in the cupboards. I don’t usually keep things out of date, but lots of things that I forgot about.

Today cleaning the kitchen cupboards I found a couple of forgotten quinoa bags, and I mean forgotten because suddenly I realised that it was ages that we don’t cook it. But then I remember all the natural and healthy properties that quinoa contains and
I promised to myself that I will cook it before the end of this week.

Quinoa is ideal for vegetarians and vegans because of all the properties from a nutritional point of view, but not only for them, it is the ideal food for any one. This seed that is cooked in a similar way to the rice is absolutely packed with protein and contains less carbohydrate than normal cereals, it also contains all the amino acids that the body needs daily.

Quinoa is very rich in iron, but also contain good amounts of calcium, group B vitamins, Vitamin C, E, folic acid, and plenty of minerals. The seed is also rich in fibre which will keep healthy your intestines and help you prevent cardiovascular disease.

If you would like to find out a bit more about the quinoa and its properties, this is an excellent book The Art of Cooking With Quinoa: A Complete Vegetable Protein. If you have ever tried or would like to try it, then click on the image on the top, Amazon will send it for you on the post for a mere £2.85 per bag (it is not ever worth to go to the shop)

No comments:

Post a Comment