Sunday 8 March 2009

Keep eating healthy in times of recession

Nowadays, every time you visit the supermarket the prices have soared in every single item. You just think “Goodness sake! I just bought this yesterday for 10p. less". However, there are still a lot of tricks you can use to still keep eating healthy and, most importantly, on budget.

1- Cook everything you can from scratch. You will save a lot instead of buying ready made meals.

2- Cook what you can by yourself. Here you can include, bread, check my recipe for easy bread, milk, check my recipe for oats milk, pizza (huge difference on price between the pizza from “wherever” to the pizza you can do with just few leftovers).

3- Go to the market at the end of the day. You will find the fruit and vegetables at knock down prices as the sellers are about to go. You can even start making your own jam of different fruits if you have bought too much (try apples, pears, not only strawberries)

4- Go to the supermarket at the end of the day. Better still “find what time your local supermarket makes the reductions”. At the end of the day products about to expire, fresh bread etc. get reduced as the supermarket will not be able to sell them on the next day. That doesn’t mean that they are off. I buy as much as I can and fill up the freezer as soon as I get home.

Well, these are just a few of my tips for times of recession, well, actually for all times. I love to be responsible with everything we got, save us much as I can and don’t waste anything, food included. I am a master of cooking with leftovers, proud to say: “In my house we never have leftovers”.

Feel free to share your own personal tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment